Main Information About Zopiclone
Zopiclone is mostly known under its brand name Zimovane. It’s a hypnotic drug that helps you cope with insomnia or poor sleep. This medication is taken orally (as tablets).
Difficulties with sleep are a common problem of our generation. We all experience them from time to time. Most often, we have problems with falling asleep at night, or we wake up in the middle of the night and lay awake for several hours. Or we wake up too early in the morning. One way or another, these problems mostly don’t require sleeping pills like Zopiclone.
The drug is used to quickly deal with insomnia and cannot be taken regularly. The efficacy, however, is impressive. You’ll quickly notice that you need less time for falling asleep.
One of the downsides of Zopiclone is a short length of treatment. No doctor would prescribe this drug for more than 2-4 weeks. Since our bodies get used to the medicine, the results aren’t the same as impressive as at the beginning of the treatment.
When Can I Take Zopiclone?
Zopiclone has plenty of limitations and restrictions. Discuss the plan of treatment with your doctor and notify him about one of the following conditions you may have:
- Pregnancy at any stage or trying to conceive.
- The respiratory system issues.
- Sleep apnoea (when you shortly stop breathing at night).
- Conditions that cause muscle weakness.
- Drug addiction (current or previous).
- Mental health problems.
- Problems with the liver or kidneys.
- Allergic reaction to a medicament.
How Patients Take Zopiclone
- All information about Zopiclone should be provided by your doctor. Despite that, make sure that you carefully and attentively read the leaflet. It includes a list of all possible side effects.
- Strictly stick to the prescribed dosage. Usually, it’s one pill before going to bed.
- The pill strength differs depending on the patient’s age. Adults can take a 7.5 mg tablet, while elderly people (65+) should take a 3.75 mg pill.
- Zopiclone cannot be taken every night. Follow the recommendation of your doctor – 2-3 times per week is enough to deal with insomnia.
Improving the Efficacy of the Treatment
- As it has been said above, Zopiclone is never prescribed for long periods. 4 weeks is the maximum duration of treatment. After this, the body becomes dependent on the medicine, and the efficacy lowers.
- It’s pretty normal to feel a little sleepy or tired during the day. The pill is quite strong and may still work the following day. Just be super cautious and don’t drive a car until you feel better.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while being on Zopiclone. Alcohol will cause several unpleasant side effects – sleepwalking or doing things you don’t remember.
- Don’t be surprised if your doctor recommends reducing the dosage of Zopiclone. This is done for preventing sleep problems from coming back.
- International trips with Zopiclone may be complicated. This medicament belongs to the “controlled drugs” class. You will need a letter explaining why it’s been prescribed for you if you need to cross the border.
What are the Side Effects of Taking Zopiclone?
There have been said many things about the positive effects of tablets. Now, it’s time to read about several unwanted moments. Side effects are an inseparable part of any treatment. However, when taking Zopiclone, you won’t be 100% experiencing them. Only 10% of patients complain about side effects.
Here are the most common of them:
- Drowsiness on the following day.
- Feeling tired.
- Dry mouth.
- Metallic or bitter aftertaste.
These are some of the mildest side effects. There also may be more serious conditions, like sleep-driving, sleepwalking, or having sex without being aware of it. If you know about these effects, discuss this situation with your doctor.
Where Do I Store Zopiclone?
- Store the medicine in a dry, cool place
- Don’t expose the pills to heat or light.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
General Reminder About Medicine
When you are at the pharmacy buying new medicine, ask the pharmacist if you can take your current drugs with the new one.
Overdose is dangerous. Pay attention to the number of pills your use and their strength. In case of taking more tablets than necessary, please, visit the emergency department of your local hospital.
Take the container with you, even if there are no pills left there.
If having surgery or dental treatment, tell your doctor about the medicines you are using.
Don’t share your drugs with other people. Don’t give away the rest of the pills. Dispose of them by taking them to the local pharmacy. The same is for expired or unwanted drugs.