What You Need To Know About Zopiclone
Zopiclone (also known as Zimovane) is a medicine that helps you deal with insomnia. Basically, it’s a hypnotic drug that exists in the form of tablets.
Plenty of people suffers from poor sleep. Almost every person can tell that he wakes up in the middle of the night, has trouble falling asleep, or stays awake for several hours at night. However, these conditions are not the reason to go and buy a pack of sleeping pills. Zopiclone and similar drugs should be used moderately – in case there’s no other way to help you. Normally, they are not taken for long periods.
Zopiclone sends a special signal to your brain, which tells your body to fall asleep. Typically, the patients say that it increases the speed of falling asleep and the total time of your sleep.
The drug can be taken for 2-4 weeks but it shows better results in a short term. The human body quickly gets used to Zopiclone. As a result, it may decrease the effects. Also, there is a danger of forming a dependency on the medicament, especially if taking it for prolonged periods of time.
Who Cannot Take Zopiclone
Before you begin the treatment or even buy Zopiclone, check if this medicine is suitable for you. Patients with some health conditions aren’t allowed to take this drug at all. Ask your doctor if it’s safe for you to take Zopiclone.
Normally, these groups of people should avoid this tablet:
- Women during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- People who are trying to conceive.
- Patients with difficulty breathing or sleep apnoea.
- People with muscle weakness or conditions causing this weakness.
- People with a history of drug addictions.
- People with mental health issues.
- People who suffer from liver or kidney disorders.
- People with allergic reactions to this medicine.
- People who are currently taking other drugs (including OTC, herbal or complementary drugs).
The Correct Treatment With Zopiclone
- Start treatment by getting acquainted with the information on the package. It can be a source of valuable and useful information about Zopiclone, its side effects, and any kind of issues you may experience.
- Your doctor defines the proper dosage for you. Never increase it without his consent. Typically, one pill of 7.5 mg before going to bed will do the trick.
- Elderly patients (aged 65 and more) have to take a reduced dosage (3.75 mg strength).
- Listen to the doctor’s recommendation and take Zopiclone as he asks you to. For example, you can be prescribed one pill only twice or thrice a week.
Increasing The Efficacy of the Drug
- If you take Zopiclone, be sure to end the treatment as soon as your doctor tells you so. The maximum recommended length of treatment is 4 weeks. Why so short? Because our bodies have a strong tendency to be dependent on the drug. As a result, the real efficacy of the pill will be decreasing.
- It’s absolutely normal to feel sleepy on the following day after taking the pill. Be extra cautious and avoid driving until the effects wear off.
- During your treatment with Zopiclone, don’t drink alcohol. It may provoke certain side effects: sleepwalking or doing things you won’t remember the next day.
- Closer to the end of the treatment, your doctor may recommend you steadily and slowly decrease the Zopiclone dosage. Do as instructed in order to reduce withdrawal effects.
- Zopiclone is classed as a “controlled drug”. When going abroad while being on Zopiclone, have a letter from your doctor explaining why you need this medication with you.
Does Zopiclone Have Side Effects?
Like another strong medicine, Zopiclone has not only positive effects on the human body. Every patient may experience the unpleasant side of the treatment with a sleeping pill. However, there’s no need to worry in advance: the common side effects affect only one person out of 10.
Anyway, we think it’s necessary to know about them:
- Zopiclone may make you feel tired or sleepy during the day.
- Patients may get a bitter or metallic aftertaste.
- Some people complain about having a dry mouth.
There are also other side effects of Zopiclone that affect even fewer patients. They include sleepwalking, sleep-driving, or even having sex. Surprisingly, a patient may not form any memories of these events. If something like this happens to you, contact your doctor immediately.
Discovering other symptoms that may be related to the treatment with Zopiclone is another sign to give your doctor a call.
Tips on How to Store Zopiclone
- Don’t let kids have access to your meds.
- Store in a dry, cool place.
- Keep the medicament away from the heat and light exposure.
General Information About Treatment
When buying medicine, have a chat with a pharmacist. Describe what medicine you are currently taking and check it if is all compatible.
Don’t increase the dosage in the hope to see a better result. It may be dangerous. If you or someone else take more pills than prescribed, immediately go to the local hospital. Take the medicament container with you (even the empty one).
Tell your surgeon and dentist about all drugs you are taking.
The prescription medicine must not be shared with anyone else. Don’t give your pills to other people, even if they have the same condition as you.
Get rid of all expired medicine and the drug you no longer use. The best option is to take them to your local pharmacy. They know how to dispose of them.
In case of any additional questions, don’t hesitate to ask your pharmacist.