Zopiclone And Where It’s Used
Zopiclone is a medicine that exists in the form of tablets. It’s sold under the brand name Zimovane. This is a hypnotic drug that is used for treating poor sleep or insomnia.
Sometimes, we all experience this. We have difficulties falling asleep, waking up too early in the morning, or staying awake for several hours in the middle of the night. Not all these conditions require you to take Zopiclone. It’s your doctor decides to prescribe this “sleeping pill” for you, you should be taking it for a short period.
The result of treatment with Zopiclone can be truly amazing: the amount of time you need to fall asleep will be significantly reduced and the length of your sleep will improve.
The average duration of treatment with Zopiclone is from 2 to 4 weeks. Taking the medication longer than 4 weeks will lead to dependency on it. As a result, the desired effect may be less than expected. That is why you have to strictly stick to the recommendations of your doctor.
When patients should NOT take Zopiclone
The medicament has some restrictions. It’s not suitable for all patients. Before prescribing this drug, the doctor should study your medical history and learn more about your current conditions.
For example, be sure to tell your doctor about the following things:
- If you are trying to conceive, already pregnant, or breastfeeding.
- If you have issues breathing. It may be sleep apnoea – a condition that makes you stop breathing for a while during your sleep.
- If you have any condition that causes muscle weakness.
- If you had a history of drug addiction.
- If you have issues with mental health.
- If you have any problems with the liver or kidney.
- If you have an allergic reaction to the medicament.
- If you are currently using other drugs. This includes all kinds of medicines (non-prescription, herbal, or complementary drugs).
Taking Zopiclone: Basic Rules
- When you receive your package with Zopiclone tablets, make sure to read the instructions on the leaflet first. It contains useful information about the possible side effects.
- The patient should take one pill before going to bed. Don’t consume more than prescribed by the doctor.
- Don’t increase the strength of the tablet. Normally, adult patients take a 7.5 mg pill, and senior patients are prescribed a reduced dosage (3.75 mg).
- You should always take Zopiclone the way your doctor prescribes you to. For example, if the recommended amount is 2-3 times per week, don’t take more than that.
How You Can Increase the Efficacy of your Treatment
- Taking Zopiclone for longer than prescribed. Keep in mind that the maximum period is 4 weeks. After that, the body gets used to the medicine, and the effect decreases. Moreover, you may become dependent on the drug.
- It’s normal to feel tired or drowsy the next day after you take Zopiclone. Be sure to avoid using tools or machines. Don’t drive until your condition improves.
- During your treatment with Zopiclone, don’t drink any alcoholic beverages. Alcohol may lead to the appearance of some side effects, like sleepwalking or doing the things you might forget when you wake up.
- At some point in your treatment, a doctor may ask you to gradually reduce the number of pills or lower the dosage. This is done for preventing the sleeping issues from coming back.
- If you decide to go abroad during your treatment with Zopiclone, it’s recommended to have a letter from your doctor stating why you need the medicine. Since Zopiclone belongs to the group of “controlled drugs”, there may be several restrictions.
The Most Common Effects of Zopiclone
In addition to multiple beneficial qualities, the majority of medicines have various unwanted effects. Zopiclone is not an exception. However, not every patient experiences them.
Approximately, 1 out of 10 people who are using Zopiclone complains about side effects. If you experience anything unusual and unpleasant during your treatment, consult your pharmacist or doctor.
Here are the possible side effects you need to know about:
- Dry mouth,
- Unpleasant aftertaste (bitter or metallic),
- Drowsiness during the day,
- Feeling tired.
These are the mildest side effects of Zopiclone. There also may be conditions like sleep-driving, sleepwalking, and doing things during sleep that you don’t remember when you wake up. In this case, you should call your doctor to discuss the details and the possible problems.
Storing Zopiclone: Three Basic Tips
- Store the medicine away from kids.
- Place the package in a dry, cool place.
- Keep the pills away from heat and light.
A Few Final Words About Medicines
When you’re buying a new medication, ask a pharmacist if you can combine it with the medicines you’re currently taking.
Take the dosage that is prescribed to you. If you accidentally consume more than necessary, go to the nearest hospital. Don’t forget to bring a container with you.
Before dental treatment or surgery, notify your doctor about any tablets of medicament you are using at the moment.
The medicine cannot be shared or given to anyone else. Even if a person has similar symptoms or conditions. When your tablets expire, dispose of them. If there’s anything left in your container after the end of treatment, bring it to the local pharmacy.