Zopiclone: Basic Info about the Drug
Suffering from sleeping problems? Take Zopiclone – a hypnotic drug that can help you fall asleep. It exists in the form of a tablet and is sold under the name Zimovane.
Insomnia is a quite common issue in the modern world. When we talk about sleeping problems we normally refer to difficulties in falling asleep, waking up early and staying awake for several hours during the night. However, these issues don’t last long. If your condition is severe, a doctor may prescribe Zopiclone to cope with these problems. Usually, the pills are to be taken for a short period of time.
Zopiclone is one of the meds that belongs to the so-called Z-class. It allows you to fall asleep faster by sending messages to your brain. As a result, it takes less time for you to fall asleep. Moreover, the average length of your sleep increases.
Doctors prescribe Zopiclone for 2-4 weeks. This short period is enough to cope with insomnia and other sleeping problems. Prolonged periods of treatment with this drug may lead to dependence on it. Thus, the efficacy will be significantly reduced.
Consider this before taking Zopiclone
Despite being a truly wonderful “sleeping pill”, Zopiclone is not suitable for everyone. Discuss the course of treatment with your doctor or pharmacist before buying the medication.
Here are the groups of patients that cannot take Zopiclone:
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Patients with breathing difficulties. This includes sleep apnoea – a condition when you shortly stop breathing in your sleep.
- Patients with myasthenia gravis or other conditions causing muscle weakness.
- Patients with a history of drug addictions.
- Patients with mental health disorders.
- Patients with liver or kidney problems.
- Patients with allergic reactions to drugs.
- Patients who are currently taking other kinds of drugs (including complementary and non-prescription kinds).
How Do I Take Zopiclone?
- The very first step is to read the information on the leaflet. It will give you plenty of details about Zopiclone and its use, as well as possible side effects.
- Stick to the prescribed dosage. Normally, it’s one tablet (7.5 mg). You should take it before going to bed.
- Seniors (patients aged 65 and more), should consult the doctor. Usually, a reduced dosage of 3.75 mg is prescribed.
- Take Zopiclone according to the doctor’s advice. Normally, it’s safer to take the pill 2-3 times per week.
Several Rules To Get Better Results From Treatment
- Your doctor should decide the suitable length of treatment. The maximum period is 4 weeks. Don’t attempt to prolong your treatment because your body will get used to the medication. As a result, there won’t be the same effect. Another downside of prolonged treatments is the danger of dependency.
- As the pill’s main aim is to make you fall asleep, don’t be surprised to feel sleepy on the following day. Be cautious: don’t drive or use any tools before you get better.
- When taking Zopiclone, alcohol should be excluded. This is necessary to reduce the negative side effects.
- Closer to the end of the treatment, it’s highly recommended to gradually reduce the dosage of Zopiclone. This will help to prevent the appearance of any withdrawal effects. Consult your doctor to learn the best possible course for ceasing medication.
- If you plan to go to another country during your treatment with Zopiclone, get a special letter from your doctor. He should state that you are currently taking the drug to deal with insomnia.
Zopiclone and its Side Effects
Apart from the desired results in dealing with sleeping problems, the drug can cause several negative effects. However, no need to be alarmed: only 10% of patients experience them. Read the information provided by the manufacturer to get acquainted with the list of all side effects.
We’ll just mention the two most common:
Side effect 1: feeling sleepy or tired
What to do in this case: avoid driving a car or using tools and machines
Side effect 2: metallic or bitter aftertaste, dry mouth
What to do in this case: take a chewing gum or sucking sweets
Another thing we need to mention: during the treatment with zopiclone, some patients may do things in their sleep that they don’t remember on the following day. This includes sleepwalking, sleep-driving, or even having sex.
If you know that similar things happen to you, be sure to contact your doctor.
A few words about Storing Zopiclone
- Don’t let children have access to medicament.
- The best place to store drugs is a dry and cool area.
General Information on Treatment with Drugs
When combining two or more drugs (treating various conditions), speak to your pharmacist in advance.
Never increase the prescribed dosage without a doctor’s advice. If you accidentally swallow more pills than usual, go to the nearest hospital to get checked. Take the medicament container with you.
Tell your surgeon or dentist about any medication you are currently taking.
Don’t share your pills with other people. Even if they have similar health issues or conditions.
Get rid of all expired or unwanted drugs. The best way is to let the pharmacist take care of the rest of your meds.
In case of any questions, don’t hesitate to call the pharmacy. Better be safe than sorry.